Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My new house!

I got a house! I won't be able to move in until I get back from my trip, but I snatched it up now, as real estate goes quickly here... There are surprisingly few houses in the mid range (neither shacks nor mansions), and those can be hard to find. Jade took a house we looked at together that she was keen on and me not so much. She was tired of looking, and despairing that the 'right' house would never become available, so she preferred to take the best at the time rather than wait. Now, I won't say my house is perfect, but it was definitely worth the wait! Its a small Thai style wood house, not two story, but still raised about 3 steps off the ground. It has a small lovely front porch with benches (would have been nice to have a larger one, but alas). It is 2 bedrooms, with a living room, and a kitchen (including built in tile counters and sink - many 'kitchens' here have _nothing_ in them). The current occupant has offered to sell me the fridge and stove, so I won't even have to find those, and I can take over the _internet_ contract (I will have wifi at home!). It has trees outback, and a place along the side where I will put a garden. It is in a compound shared with one other house (so I will have to find a way to fence off my goats when I get them) in a quiet neighborhood off the main road. One of my coworkers is about two 'blocks' away. It is near the northern market, and about a 7 minute bike ride from work. I'm very pleased with it. No roommate yet (new folks tend to come during the summer, and they have already found places to live), but I will live there on my own for a while, and see what works out. To live there alone is actually almost twice as expensive as living at the office (though still just under $150/month for rent, water, electric, and internet), but I think it will be good to have some distance, and I look forward to having a place that I can make mine (settle in, garden, keep my goats). I'm sure a roommate will turn up eventually. (In the meantime, perfect place for my friends and family to stay while visiting....!). I don't think I'll have a chance to post photos of it before I go, but I will as soon as I return!

3 comments:

  1. goats? what is this about goats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, your house sounds fabulous! The kitchen and porch sound great. And I am soooo excited you'll have internet at home. But yes, what on earth are you going to do with goats? Let me know if you want to know how to make goat cheese, I'll ask Keith to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy! Sounds great -- can't wait to see it!!
    Are you going into the cheese business?

    ReplyDelete