Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Off to the land of plenty

Tomorrow I head to Chiang Mai, mystical second city of Thailand, and place where, apparently, dreams come true. I'm going there (about 6 bus hours north of here) to participate in an intensive 2 1/2 week Burmese language course. I'm very excited for this opportunity to dig into the language! I haven't studied at all since returning from my trip, and consequently, have stopped progressing. This will be a great chance to ignore the distractions of work, and focus on Burmese, the speaking of which will actually make my job easier, if I can manage it.

I'm also quite excited to go to Chiang Mai. It is apparently the home of vegetarian restaurants aplenty, a wine bar(!), a jazz club(!!), great shopping, cooler weather, and more, without the craziness, crowds, traffic, or noise of BKK. Also, a dear friend and fellow sailor from NYC will be making an appearance!

Jade and I are ecstatic about this opportunity, and are determined to prevent the pressures of work from dragging us away from the class early. Hopefully...

1 comment:

  1. Good, your friend from NYC can bring you news from the US, where history has been made and our country has forever been changed. (Okay, I had to mention it since you didn't...) YAY FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete