As is probably clear from the decreasing frequency of my posts... my work load is steadily increasing, and free time, therefore, diminishing. Long days, as much as 11 or 12 hours working, are not uncommon, including last Saturday. Jade and I know that we are still at a point of having to put in a little more effort to accomplish things, because we are still learning the programs/players/etc., so the hope is that tasks will be handled more efficiently later, which is true, but even as that occurs more is added to the to-do list, and so the work hours required do not decline.
We find ourselves struggling to find a balance that includes enough personal time to maintain our sanity, enough time to accomplish the extra-work endeavors that must be accomplished, and not falling too far behind in work. This is a rather daunting way to begin a job.
After working such long hours, it is difficult to focus in my remaining free time on tasks that require energy, or time. Thus I feel that I'm not giving as much as I would like to towards learning Burmese. Its also hard to make the time to both exercise, and cook, which is something that I both very much enjoy, and helps me control my diet more. I'm also desiring to do more self study on Access, VB, and Stata, but again, hard to sit down and study after a long day of work. Even house hunting requires a not-inconsiderable amount of time.
I don't mean to complain, but rather to say, this is currently my biggest challenge. Figuring out a balance that accomplishes the many important tasks that are involved with this work, and living in a way that is sustainable. Will take some time to figure out.
I think you need to tell Thailand that we in America proudly observe 2 lazy days of rest a week. I am so sad for you and your lack of a proper weekend! But don't worry, Jen, you'll figure everything out, and get adjusted to your new work life and manage to fit other stuff in there as well. I'd start with dropping self-study on what I'm assuming is computer stuff. Who needs that? ;)
ReplyDelete