Sunday, January 29, 2012

just another day in the tropics

Today was a pretty classic Mae Sot day, and it really struck me how much I will miss living in the tropics.

Here we never wonder what the weather is like outside, because we basically live outside (even in my house the temperature is the same as outdoors), or spend much time wondering what to wear, because short sleeves are apropos all year long.  We seldom wear any shoes other than flip flops, and our front doors are open from the time we get up until the time we go to bed.  It's a pretty easy going life.

Today I picked up my house mate up from the airport (yes, we are now posh enough to have an airport, with one whole flight per day), which meant jumping on my motorbike for a five minute ride down the highway, pulling right up to the terminal, and having him and his luggage hop on the back.

In the afternoon, I spent some time reading in the hammock on my front porch, enjoying the breeze, and a lap full of kitty, before walking up to the market (about 4 minutes walk) to buy a ton of beautiful locally grown vegetables to eat for dinner (for about two USD).

As the sun sank, I went for a run, past banana trees, rice paddies, and fields of sugarcane.

Later, after changing the sheets on my bed, I made sure to put on two blankets, as the temperature is supposed to drop to a bone chilling 62 degrees F tonight.

Sometimes I'm nearly overwhelmed by how much I will miss here, but then I remember how much I have missed the golden sunlight of a late Autumn afternoon, hiking through hardwood forests, campfires on a chilly mountain night, snowflakes, summer thunder storms, good wine, berries, and other non-tropical marvels.  The world is really full of all kinds of wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment