We're having a cool streak here in Mae S0t: its barely breaking 80(F) during the day, and has been in the low-to-mid-40s at night, making for very chilly sleeping. Most of us are wearing pretty much all the layers we own to bed. I'm grateful to have a house that is much more sealed than many. I can't help thinking of the patients at Mae Tao Clinic, who sleep on the concrete floor of open sided pavilions. It may be time for another blankets donation.
Next week I am acquiring a roommate. Will definitely be a change, but was inevitable, given how much I'll be away. I feel much better that someone will be in the house, since I think I will be away more than home for the next six months. He is an Australian that has been in Thailand for a couple years, but is new to Mae Sot, come to work with the Human Rights Documentation Unit (HRDU). He is also an avid rock climber, who in his first two weeks here has already scouted a place to climb just outside of town, and has made plans to build a wall in Mae Sot! But, he adamantly refuses to milk goats. Sigh.
A friend from grad school is coming to Mae Sot in February, and will stay with me, about which I'm very excited. Well, he'll more accurately stay in my house, as I leave the day after he arrives, and will be gone for about 3 weeks of his 4 week visit...
At trivia last week my team came in second. I know. Its shocking.
I was told today by an unmarried Burmese woman, who at 36 herself, is pretty much considered an old maid here, that she's very worried I won't get married because I'm too picky. I was very curious to know upon what she based this conclusion, given that I haven't had an opportunity for a date here to accept or reject either way. She said its because I told her that I dated several people before coming here, and since I didn't marry any of them, clearly, I'm too picky. She was telling me this with love, because she doesn't want me to become an old maid like her, but is very worried, because I'm getting close.... Thanks.
I had a very awesome conference call with five of my best friends on Saturday, and us in 6 different cities. Hurray for technology! It really does help one feel connected.
'Tis all for now. Ciao friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment