Friday, July 31, 2009

Time wastes too fast...


A quote from Tristram Shandy, that struck me particularly. All the more so in combination with this particularly challenging quote from my very revered Th. J.

"Determine never to be idle. No person will ever have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."



I find within my self such strong conflicting interests - to be that person who is never idle, and resultantly prolific in many things; fighting with a desire for that very idleness, to rest the mind and body, to retreat, knowing full well that the result is never satisfaction, even in that.

I feel that I used to be a more productive person, and wonder, if it is an increase in energies in one direction (namely, work) that has hampered the total output, or perhaps rather just a general weakness of mind, and discipline, and will.

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as idleness or self-improvement - but certainly as a great source of inspiration, education, and entertainment, I am enamored with Maira Kalman's new blog: And the Pursuit of Happiness. Nominally about American democracy, I think is more about the American spirit; about hope, and inspiration, and greatness, that resides at the core of this country, that sets a foundation for what it can be. And makes you think about what can be. And resolve to not waste time.
http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/

No comments:

Post a Comment