Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Come away with me

It was almost a perfect evening.

Having spent all day reviewing program manuals and writing donor reports, I went for a run in the cool evening air, followed by a relaxing shower and a lovely dinner of fresh steamed peas and balsamic braised baby asparagus. Now, I sit enjoying a glass of wine (thank you Helma!), listening to the very unseasonal rain fall, accompanied by the longing strains of Norah Jones.

I have a playlist, for just such moments, that I have suitably entitled 'a glass of wine'. Intended to melt away tension, and perfectly accompany the (emotional) intoxication of any fermented grape, it has one flaw: the song which is both my favorite and least enjoyed. It is very unfortunate that as much as I love this song, easily drifting away on its relaxing strains, it inevitably, and too rapidly, conjures less pleasant emotions.

What is the statute of limitations on painful associations? How long must I endure pangs of memory and loss when listening to this favored melody? I have fought giving up on this song, sure that eventually, I will listen to it with only pleasure. But alas, more than half a decade on, I still only remember slow dancing to its sounds blending with the rain pounding on the skylight, lost in a perfect moment which was really just a bubble waiting to be burst. Like taking a first sip of a treasured aged bottle and finding it is vinegar.

Alas. Almost a perfect evening.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry to hear that. I have a few formerly beloved songs that I've had to back bench. Every once in a while I try them out, but they're still, as you'd say, corked. Maybe some day. Until then I focus on the new ones I've learned to love. Try grooveshark, and check out Vienna Teng. She's much better than that other lady anyways :) (Ok, I like Norah Jones, it's true.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a collection of reverie and memory.

    We have much to catch up on. But your 'tentative' decision to stay in Mae Sot for another year or so at least gives me time to come visit. :)

    ReplyDelete