Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sunday afternoon

I tried to post these photos last week, but only managed to crash the blog a few times. I have compressed the photos, and will try again.....

These are shots from a Sunday afternoon trip to the reservoir two weeks ago. We went to swim and relax, at this favorite place tucked in amongst the hills and rice paddies. Its about a 25 minute cycle to get out there, and about a 25 minute trip to swim across and back (though most folks prefer to spend that time sunbathing on the shore, so I often swim it alone). Sometimes I ride out with a friend in the morning before work to swim across for a little work out. But Sunday afternoon is definitely the best time for the reservoir. Sitting on top of the dam, the land falls away to the west, down to the border, with the mountains in Burma as a backdrop. A perfect place to watch the sunset. So, here's a taste of my Sunday afternoon for you.

The reservoir: the road runs along the top of the damn.

This is the point I usually swim across. The sharp peak to the right of the dip in the mountains provides a good reference check on my direction between strokes - easy to spot against the horizon.

What it looks like on the other side. Mostly farms, rice, and grains. This far side of the reservoir is also where Jade and I like to come to run.

Sitting on the damn, post swim, waiting for the sunset.

Provisioning.

Typical rural Thai house, next to rice paddies, on the road to the reservoir.

A nearby temple, where the dead are cremated.

Rural Thai house

Pensive boy

Market veggies, at a small roadside stand

Banana tree in the wind

Tropical laundry dryer.

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    I really enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

    I found this article this morning and thought it might interest you.

    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2010/0208/At-her-Thai-border-clinic-Cynthia-Maung-treats-victims-of-war-from-her-native-Burma

    Good Luck,

    Carries father-in-law

    ReplyDelete