Monday, November 9, 2009

and back again

Here I am in Chiang Mai, studying Burmese, just as I was one year ago. Last time, so much was still strange and new, Burmese script looked like curlycues, Dana was here watching Loy Krathong lanterns with me, and I was eager to any food that wasn't Thai.

This time, though, Chiang Mai is almost as familiar as Mae Sot, I'm reading and writing Burmese, I'm more interested in catching up on lost sleep than exploring, I missed Lot Krathong festivities because of a USAID meeting, and I'm eager for Thai food because its the cheapest, and I've been away from Thailand for so long.

So, as the tourists here seem to think all Thai people say, "same, same, but different".

It's interesting to me that so far in my life, each year has been so very different from the year before it, and I wonder, will it continue this way. And if so, what will the next year bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment