Wednesday, November 25, 2009

by any other name

I have always had mixed feelings about taking on another name in other languages. I could have ended up with quite a few by now. I have always identified as Jen Leigh, and don't think that will ever change. I haven't felt the need to absorb local flavor, or acculturate in this particular way.

Here on the border, I am often asked for my Burmese name, and am continually surprised that I am so universally expected to have one. Well, I don't. But, as of last week, I now have a Karen one. It was an unsolicited gift from a treasured local partner. He called while I was in Chiang Mai, and after a long conversation about very unrelated topics, told me "I have one name for you". I didn't know what he meant, and thinking he was going to give me the name of someone he wanted me to meet, I took out a pen and paper. He proceeded, however, to tell me that he had been thinking for a long time, about what my Karen name should be, and finally had one.

Naw Paw Htoh Kee Wah.

It means 'white orchid' (Naw= title for women; Paw= flower; Htoh Kee with Paw= orchid; Wah=white).

He has started only using this name to address me, and it is slowly spreading through the ranks of the organization. I now feel myself surprised at how honored and pleased I feel to have received it, I think because I am touched that they wanted to give it to me. I don't think I'll go around introducing myself as Paw Htoo Kee Wah, but I will be happy to respond to my Karen friends as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment