Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The rainy season

It turns out, the nice weather I enjoyed here during my first week (periodic short rainstorms, with lots of time to dry out in between) was a fluke. In my second week, I am experiencing true rainy season weather, or so I am now told. Which means, that from Saturday until this morning, it stopped raining for about an hour. Total. Its not a constant downpour; there are many kinds of rain. The light sprinkle, the mist (rare), the steady drizzle, long pointed drops, fat round ones, rain blown sideways by gusty wind, the heavy but brief, and the torrential proper monsoon downpour.

I quickly realized that the lovely light, breathable, vented, compactable, REI rain jacket that I have used for years is totally out of its league here. So I went to the market, and bought a bright green plastic raincoat that stretches down past my knees. Being inexperienced, I didn't allow enough room in it for it to fit over my full backpack as well, or to have enough room for me to sit on my bike and pedal without exposing my legs to the rain. A couple of rips and dripping pants later (I used my other raincoat as a 'jacket' for my backpack), I am now in the market for a poncho. They take ponchos very seriously here. First, it must be an obnoxious color, either neon, or, if you are highclass, you might go pearly pastel. Second, the hood must have a bill. Third, it should have sleeves, with elastic on the wrist (and the wearer must not be more than 5'5" or so, or the sleeves are too short) and a clear plastic window for watch viewing. When its not raining, they are kept in the basket of you bicycle (every bike has a basket) so that they can be donned at a moments notice, and when it is raining, they make very good bike covers when not worn.

The acceptable alternative to the poncho, is the
umbrella-held-while-driving-motorbike. Motorbikes (not motorcycles, these have only 100cc engines) are the second most popular form of transportation here, after bicycles. Many drivers have developed the treacherous skill of holding an umbrella while driving (those not lucky enough to have a passenger to do it for them). This is my favorite rainy day sight, though certainly not the safest.

I lucked out today, having gotten in two completely dry trips, both to and from my malaria training. Tomorrow, I go to market. Hopefully I won't get too wet on the way. On the way home - bring on the rain, I'll be wearing my Mae Sot poncho.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Jen, those are some serious ponchos. I definitely want to see some pictures of you in your knee-length neon duck-billed poncho! :)

    ReplyDelete